Losing weight today is especially hard for several reasons. First the food quality is not great. Everywhere we turn we're presented with options for fast food, soda, artifical beverages like red-bull, pesticide laden produce, GMO ingredients, and unpronouncable toxic chemicals in our food. Depending on where you live it can be hard to find anything organic, and you'll need to be rich to afford it. Today most common food condiments contain GMO ingredients and chemicals like MSG, corn syrup, or round-up ready soybean oil. Its kinda like there's a conspiracy to make everyone SICK so they'll spend more money on buying HEALTH CARE. Oh no, but that couldn't possibly be true - or could it?? Quality bread that does not contain toxic additives is hard to find, and processed sugar is used abundantly. But as you cut out the fast foods, sugars, and GMO you might find that your energy tanks as it becomes harder and harder to find anything at all to eat or snack on! Altogether losing weight can seem impossible to the averagely informed American today. Yet another challenge is that pollution levels are rising in the air and water, and pesticides are used liberally in farming, leading to a higher potential concentration of toxins and heavy metals. Even organic lettuce can be irrigated with fluoridated water! Over time all the 'junk' ends up in your fat cells, and trying to lose weight just by skipping meals and exercising is likely to result in an existential emotional crisis as the would-be-skinny's stress levels burst through the roof. Furthermore some people find that losing weight with artificial stimulants and low calorie low nutrition fad diets can wreck their health PERMANENTLY. Trust me - you don't want to be in that position where you are now skinny but you now have a host of other health problems! The best way is to lose weight HEALTHFULLY, and I've included some tips below.
(TCM Tip:) In terms of Tradtional Chinese Medicine your body may develop, when trying to lose weight with traditional 'diets', a high level of toxicity and and blood deficiency. The condition of being overweight itself is usually assocated with a weakened Spleen and accumulation of phlegm (fat). What can you do about all these imbalances?
We are living in extraordinary times of wars, earthquakes, and an extremely polluted food supply. Extraordinary challenges require extraordinary measures. If you want to lose weight healthfully you're going to need to resort to what I call SUPER NUTRITION. This means incorporating as many so called "super foods" as you can, while also supporting your body with top quality nutrition supplements. In addition you should include Chinese herbs to make sure that your body is functioning in the best way possible while you go about losing weight.
"Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food."Hippocrates (460-370 B.C.)
(TCM Tip:) In traditional Chinese medicine its believed that the immunity roots from the middle jiao - the combination of the stomach, spleen, small intestine, and large intestine working together harmoniously. When the stomach and intestines are in perfect health, the immunity will be strong. When the middle jiao is compromised, the immunity will be weak. This is why Chinese formulas that benefit immunity frequently treat the middle jiao primarily. Even Chinese medical formulas for allergies concentrate on tonifying the middle jiao. This is why its important to build your digestion on a solid foundation, such as the non-GMO organic super foods found in LOV.
If you've heard of the Paleo diet, then you're probably aware that its another popular way to lose weight. We recommend a path that starts with regular acupuncture, While Purium LOV can support a Paleo diet, it is not strictly speaking a Paleo formula. That's because Purium LOV is actually designed to be incorporated into a VEGAN diet. However Chinese medicine does not believe in vegetarianism as the path to ultimate long term health, which is why I recommend small portions of lean organic meat eaten daily. The Paleo diet, which you can research further online for yourself, can work well with Chinese medicine, and can be an effective way to lose weight. It is typically considered to be a high fat diet rich in meats and fatty foods. The theory behind Purium is to lose weight healthfully, that is to reduce both carbs *and* fats while increasing only nutrients. The result is generally a high level of energy and avoidance of the high stress caused by other fad diets. Its true that a high fat diet which is low in carbs can help you to lose weight over the shorter term. But over the longer term a high fat diet can cause stress to the heart, liver, and gallbladder, and is ultimately not sustainable. What works in youth may not always work in older age, and this is especially true for weight loss. Superbly dense nutrition, such as Purium LOV, is the secret to fast and easy weight loss that works with minimal stress on the body. Purium LOV allows you to lose weight without over-indulging in a high fat diet. The concept is simple - just add nutrition!
The two most effective methods that Chinese medicine offers to support weight loss are acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Once you've got your super-nutrition plan going, you should definitely consider incorporating both acupuncture and herbs. Both can help to balance your body dramatically. For instance a common Chinese medical diagnosis is called "liver overacting on spleen" - which simply means that high level of stress is hindering proper digestion. In Western medicine it might be viewed as high cortisol levels. High stress jobs, living environment, relationships, and even high level of toxins can all contribute to stress on your liver. Acupuncture has special acupunture points to deal with this, such as LIVER-13 and LIVER-3. In addition acupuncture can reduce one organ system and balance another organ system simply by using the 4 needle technique. In this cause we would want to reduce the liver, which is in a state of excess, while tonifying the spleen. Chinese herbs work in a similar sort of way. Some Chinese herbs like Mu Xiang can actually increase digestive function, cause elimination, and help to manage parasites in the digestive system. Finally supplements like magnesium can be added to further encourage intestinal cleansing during weight loss.
Now having all these options doesn't mean that you should forget about traditional weight loss techniques like exercise. But in all honestly even if you don't change your exercise habits much you'll still probably lose weight if you stick to all these suggestions: super nutrition, paleo style diet, chinese herbs, and regular acupuncture. Excercise then becomes the icing on the cake to help the pounds shed more quickly.
Finally don't forget about the need to reduce toxicity while losing weight - its such a major issue these days! I'll close this article with a brief discussion on some common toxins you'll find today:
Chinese Nutrition is an extremely important and often overlooked aspect of balanced nutrition. It is completely different than Western Nutrition. Rather than looking at foods in terms of their nutritional content (calories, fat, etc) Chinese nutrition examines the properties of foods according to Oriental Medicine. Some foods will tonify qi, while others can tonify blood. You probably already know that some foods are hot (spicy) but did you know that some foods are also cold? Still other foods have properties to clear heat, disperse cold, tonify yin, tonify yang, clear phlegm, and regulate blood circulation just to name a few.
In order to really get the most from your diet you'll need to choose foods according to your Chinese medical DIAGNOSIS. Your highly trained and licensed acupuncturist can diagnose you according to the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) so that you'll know which foods to choose. In this way food can really become medicine, as you adjust your body back into balance simply by being selective about your food choices. For instance, if you are diagnosed with damp-heat, then you should try to incorporate foods the clear heat and dampness while simultaneously limiting foods that are hot and dampening.
A full discussion of Chinese Nutrition is beyond the scope of this article, but you can find more information on Chinese Nutrition by doing a google search. You can also checkout my web site ChineseNutrition.org where I have created a database of foods that is SEARCHABLE according to TCM properties. For instance on this web site you can easily pull up a list of all the foods that clear heat with just a simple search. If you'd like to take balancing your diet to the next level, you should definitely invest some time into learning about Chinese Nutrition. Then stop by and visit your acupuncturist to get your Chinese medical diagnosis. Choosing foods according to your Chinese medical diagnosis will provide the next level of support on your weight loss journey.
When losing weight its more important than ever to choose SUPER nutrition. Super foods are foods that pack a lot of nutrition into just a few calories. Most of the foods you buy at the grocery store are nutritionally empty. They tend to have a lot of carbs but not a lot nutrients. The issue is further exacerbated by modern day farming methods that leave the soil empty and depleted. Even things that seem healthy like apples and lettuce can have startling low nutritional contents. I've put together a short list of some of the most popular super foods, but certainly there is more research you can do online. Once you start thinking in terms of SUPER NUTRITION, you'll find it doesn't take nearly as much food to leave you feeling full and satisifed.
You betcha. More people are waking up than ever before, but the majority of the population still can't fathom the idea that our food supply is currently being used as a weapon to make the population sick, tired, and controllable. Henry Kissinger was one of the first to introduce the idea of using food as a weapon against the people, in a 1974 report called “National Security Study Memorandum 200: Implications of Worldwide Population Growth for U.S. Security and Overseas Interests.” Today it seems clear that weaponized food is not just being used overseas, but is also being directed at the poor, the disadvantaged, and the unaware domestic population right here at home. If you're not making an effort to eliminate fast foods of all kinds, processed foods, GMO foods, soft drinks, energy drinks, and non-natural procesed sugars then you are playing right into the hands of those who would weaponize your food and use it against you. The not-so-secret plan seems to be to make you tired so you'll buy more stimulants like soft drinks, candy, and energy drinks. Then over time you will become sick from having consumed poisonous substances for a long period of time . You may also become infertile, or develop Hormonal imbalances due to consumption of GMO foods. Or things like cancer or lukemia may develop in your body, in which case you will begin to pay into the health care with everything you own!
The information in this article is a secret - but not really. If you open your eyes and look around you can find this information online for yourself on Google, Youtube, etc. Its the secret that's hidden in plain site. Take some time to do the research and you will learn for yourself.
1. Pesticides Exceedingly common, these poisons often leave behind residues.
Pesticides have been linked to everything from cancer to birth defects.
Solution: Organic foods are required to be synthetic pesticide-free.
2. BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) & BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) These common processed food preservatives are declared carcinogens by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. They’re also accused of disrupting hormones and impacting male fertility. Solution: Check ingredient lists to avoid.
3. Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH/rBST) Its Given to cows to increase milk production, rGBH produces elevated levels of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) in dairy products. IGF-1 is found to be a significant factor in breast, prostate and colon cancers. Solution: Choose organic or rBGH-free dairy products.
4. Sodium Aluminum Sulphate and Potassium Aluminum Sulphate Also used in most processed cheese products, baked goods, and microwave popcorn, among other packaged goods, these ingredients are linked to adverse reproductive, neurological, behavioral, and even developmental effects. Solution: Read ingredient lists to avoid this toxin.
5. Bisphenol-A (BPA) Often found in foods and beverage can lining, this hormone-mimicker is suspected of promoting breast and prostate cancer, reproductive and behavioral problems, is a contributor to obesity, and diabetes. Solution: Try to avoid canned foods. Choose fresh, dried, or frozen instead.
6. Sodium Nitrite/Nitrate Used in deli foods like processed meats, these preservatives are linked to many types of cancer. Beware of “uncured” and “no added nitrites/nitrates” products. They often use celery juice instead, which is high in nitrates. Solution: Read ingredient lists to avoid this toxin.
7. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons These carcinogens are created when fat is burned—by flames or very high heat. Solution: Pre-cook grillables and finish over low flame.
8. Heterocyclic Amines These carcinogens form when natural substances found in meats and fish react together in high temperatures like those found during grilling. Solution: Pre-cook grillables and finish over low flame.
9. Acrylamide Also formed by cooking or frying high-carb starchy foods like potatoes and grains at high temperatures, acrylamide is a carcinogen. Solution: Try to avoid fried foods, snack chips, crackers, toasted cereals, cookies, and bread crusts.
10. Brominated Vegetable Oil Used in fruit-flavored drinks and sodas, animal studies found high doses of this toxin led to reproductive and behavioral problems. Solution: Check ingredients listings.
11. Artificial Food Coloring/Dyes These ubiquitous chemicals have been linked to neurological disorders like ADHD. Solution: Read ingredient lists to avoid.
12. Dioxins These highly toxic pollutants accumulate in fatty foods and are linked to cancer, liver damage, birth defects, and endocrine and immune disruption. Solution: Choose low- or no-fat foods.
13. Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Found in about 70 to 90 percent of processed foods with corn-, soy-, cottonseed-, canola-, and sugar beet-based ingredients, GMOs may cause organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. In 2015 about 90% of all corn and soy was from genetically modified roundup-ready versions. Some claim that these contain pesticides that grow inside the plants, and this would include corn syrups found in beverages!
14. Flouride (Sodium Flouride) Approximately 66 percent of the water supply in the United States has a toxic additive known as Sodium Flouride. Sodium Flouride is the primary ingredient in most rat poisons. Studies have shown that it makes people more docile (less likely to complain) and its use was first pioneered in the concentration camps of Nazi Germany. It may also directly calcify your pineal gland which may limit your awareness (and connection) to things of a spiritual nature. Some large corporations like Nestle are now adding flouride to bottled water as well. Solution: Avoid all flouridated water, boycott corporations that are poisoning you and your family, get a reverse-osmosis water filter for drinking water at home, contact your local community groups to affect positive change, or move to a place with a non-flouridated water supply.
According to GoodHouseKeeping.com these are some of the latest 'dirty dozen' (now 22+) pesticide laden foods to be aware of. While washing these can help remove pesticides from the exterior it may not be sufficient to remove harmful residues that have penetrated to the interior. When consuming the foods below its best if you choose to 'Go Organic' whenever possible.
Now for the good news - there are a few vegetables that tend to be okay to go non-organic. The 'clean 15' includes: Onions, Non-GMO corn, Pineapple, Avocado, Asparagus, Frozen Sweet Peas, Mango, Papaya, Canteloupe (domestic only), Eggplant, Cabbage, Watermelon, Sweet Potatoes, Grapefruit, and Mushrooms.
Without a qualified practitioner of Oriental medicine it will be more difficult to choose foods. At least you should try to understand all sides of the nutrition equation by hearing the advice of a qualified expert in Chinese nutrition. Lets review the critical components for healthful weight loss, and the ways that Oriental medicine can help you along the way.
Put it all together and you've got a receipe for success. Contact me today to find out how Maui Acupuncture can help. Skype and/or Telephone Chinese nutrition consultations available for $49 by using the button below.
Chinese Nutrition Consultation$65 per telephone session of 30 minutes to 45 minutes consultation on Chinese nutrition according to principles of Chinese medicine by telephone or Skype. Includes a Traditional Chinese Medical diagnosis which is done according to symptoms. After you pay for your 30-45 minute consultation, please download our intake form, fill it out and fax to 866-308-5198 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The information on the web site does not constitute medical advice, and you should always consult your doctor for medical advice before taking any action to do with your health. By using this web site you agree to our terms and conditions of use.
Justin Hays, LAc, MAOM